Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Free Indeed - Galatians 4:8-20

8 Formerly, when you did not know God, you were slaves to those who by nature are not gods. 9 But now that you know God--or rather are known by God--how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? 10 You are observing special days and months and seasons and years! 11 I fear for you, that somehow I have wasted my efforts on you. 12 I plead with you, brothers, become like me, for I became like you. You have done me no wrong. 13 As you know, it was because of an illness that I first preached the gospel to you. 14 Even though my illness was a trial to you, you did not treat me with contempt or scorn. Instead, you welcomed me as if I were an angel of God, as if I were Christ Jesus himself. 15 What has happened to all your joy? I can testify that, if you could have done so, you would have torn out your eyes and given them to me. 16 Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? 17 Those people are zealous to win you over, but for no good. What they want is to alienate you [from us], so that you may be zealous for them. 18 It is fine to be zealous, provided the purpose is good, and to be so always and not just when I am with you. 19 My dear children, for whom I am again in the pains of childbirth until Christ is formed in you, 20 how I wish I could be with you now and change my tone, because I am perplexed about you! - Galatians 4:8-20

OBSERVATION QUESTIONS:
1) What did the Galatians do when they did not know God? (v.8)
2) What did the Galatians do after their conversion? (v.9-10)
3) Why was Paul concerned for them? (v.11)
4) What did Paul urge the Galatians to do to replace their legalistic practices? (v.12)
5) Why did the apostle first preach the Gospel to the Galatians? (v.13)
6) How did the church respond to Paul at that time? (v.14-15)
7) Why was Paul perplexed about the Galatians? (v.16-20)

APPLICATION QUESTIONS:
1) After your conversion, have you ever done anything to please others rather than Christ?
2) If so, what happened?
3) How was the matter finally resolved?

LIFE LESSONS:
1) The truth within the Bible will keep us from believing the lies that are in the world.
2) Our lives should line up with the Word of God, rather than the opinions of men.
3) Believers cannot live the truth unless they know the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment